Yesterday, we were able to demo out a good bit of the work on the remodel of our family room. With some help from Son-of- and Wife-of, our built-in bookcases came out without me ruining them (and we discovered the most gawd-awful carpet under them), and they might garner something at a yard sale. The old mantel came off easily, as well as it's supports (although I made a giant cloud of dust in removing them). Learning this lesson, I enclosed the entry to the family room in plastic before I began to remove the upper coarse of the "bins". I made an even larger cloud of dust, but at least it didn't drift all over the house (well, most of it, anyway).
More to do today before I go off to work, but it looks as though I'll get it finished.