Wednesday, February 28, 2007

USA Today...

It's not often that I even read a USA Today. Their coverage lacks the depth that I like in a newspaper, and their slant is obvious.

However, in today's edition, Ralph Peters writes this opinion piece which makes the case that we are not in a "Battle of Ideas", but rather in a war "over religion and ethnicity" (something which I've long thought).

Further, Peters notes that a "hearts and minds" approach will not work. The insurgency we face can be put down, but it will take bloodletting. As I've worried about earlier, I'm afraid that we won't be willing to spill serious blood until we've been bloodied first. It may take the loss of much of a major American city before we're willing to take down enough of the Islamic faith that they call off their jihad.

No comments: